Systems Engineer - Junior/ Senior Level Job Code: CIK-2234
Experience: 0 to 1 years.
About the Job
Immediate need for a Junior & Senior Level Microsoft Systems Engineer to work from
This technical position will involve working in a team environment with a group
Engineers designing technical architectures and implementing complex
customer environments. Involving frequent collaborative efforts with engineers from
both the UNIX and network engineering disciplines, this position will implement
a variety of customer environments across multiple data centers. The position will
also include regular communication to the Operations Support Center (OSC) in multiple
The successful candidate will have a strong technical acumen with a deep knowledge
of the fundamentals of the Windows operating system. The successful candidate must
also posses strong communication skills and be able to communicate to both internal
and external users as well as customers on a variety of levels. A strong desire
to learn and expand on existing knowledge is a requirement. Industry standard certifications
are also a plus.
Technical responsibilities for the position will include building and administering
multiple Active Directory forests and domains, involving multiple Microsoft technologies
including Exchange, SQL, WSUS, SCOM, IIS, SharePoint and Terminal services. These
environments will be either in a customer shared or dedicated arrangement, on either
physical or virtual (VMware) platforms. Additional experience that will benefit
the candidate will include, but is not limited to,VMware, Cisco IOS, Juniper ScreenOS
and EMC CLARiiON & Equallogic PS Series SAN platforms. The minimal travel requirement
is 10% or less.
Primary Functions: * Administration of the multiple Windows 2003/8 domains that
includes, but is not limited to, Active Directory, IIS, Exchange 2003/7 and infrastructure
monitoring using Microsoft System Center Operations Manager.
* Technical activities including hardware/OS/application implementation, upgrades
* Review and recommend server & software for corporate and customer applications
. * Field, review and resolve customer troubles as escalated by Expedient's OSC.
* Provide system performance and tuning as well as root cause determination in the
event of failures.
* Produce and present documentation,training and standard operating procedures for
both internal and customer use.
* Participate in engineering on-call, approximately 1 week per month.
* 0 - 1 years Windows systems &domain administration with Windows 2003 or later.
* Experience administering an Active Directory environment, with extensive knowledge
of group policy.
* Strong understanding of Internet/IP related technologies including, but not limited
to, DNS, SMTP, HTTP/S, IP subnetting.
* Experience with Fiberchannel/iSCSI/SAS storage arrays. Understanding of concepts
such as RAID.
* Have a working knowledge of networking technologies such as TCP/UDP port requirements,
802.1Q network tagging and routing.
* Ability to prioritize and be productive in high-pressure situations, providing
timely status updates to customers, the OSC, and/or project management.
* Strong trouble-shooting ability. Ability to identify and resolve problems in down
* Qualifications Preferred:
* 0-1 years VMware ESX Enterprise administration, in a fully redundant environment
utilizing SAN storage back end.
* Experience with scripting in a Windows environment (e.g. PowerShell and VBScript).
* Experience with administering Exchange 2003/2007 environments.
* B.S. in a technical discipline.
* SAN administration experience.
* Network administration experience(layer-2 switching and firewalling).
* Backup and backup related technology experience, with EMC Networker being preferred.
* Experience with database technologies such as MS SQL, MySQL or Oracle.
Questions You Should Know:
To give you, the potential candidate, an understanding of the technical acumen required
by the position,we have put together some sample questions that would be asked on
a phone screen. If you find yourself unable to answer a more than one or two questions
without assistance (i.e. Google or the like), then it's not likely you will pass
the phone screen. Answers to these questions should not be submitted with your resume; this
is simply to help guide you in understanding technical expertise requirements:
1. Define (3) levels of RAID; if parity is involved describe how the parity rests
on the disks.
2. True or False: An SSL website requires a dedicated IP address. Why?
3. What port does SMTP, HTTP, and DNS run on?
4. How many IPs (approximately) are in a Class B network?
5. Name 3 processor models(mainline CPUs e.g. manufactured by Intel, AMD, SUN, IBM)
which were produced in the last 4 years. Compare/contrast2.
6. What's the maximum amount of memory Windows 2003 Standard Edition can address?
What about Windows 2008 Standard Edition?
7. What is the GAL?
8. What's the difference between SCR and CCR?
9. How do you extend the C:partition?